Fish tacos are very fresh & sassy to share with guests but are super easy to make. I do believe it is time for another game night with friends.
Fried Fish Ingredients
- Canola or vegetable oil for frying
- 1 egg, beaten
- 12 ounces of buttermilk
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (plus more for sprinkling)
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- About 2 pounds fresh halibut or cod, cut into about 4 inch pieces and 3/4 inch wide
Preheat oil in a heavy-duty deep pan or in a deep fryer to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with two or three layers of paper towels.
Make sure the oil maintains this same temperature throughout the cooking process.
Whisk together just until combined: egg yolks, beer, flour, baking powder, sea salt, onion powder, and paprika in a medium-large bowl.
Rinse the fish with cold water and then pat dry with a paper towel. Coat one piece at a time and carefully drop in the preheated oil. Cook about four at a time for a few minutes on each side.
When done cooking, place fish on lined baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt right away. Repeat the process until all fish strips are fried.
If you need to keep fish warm while preparing rest of dinner, place on unlined baking sheet in oven at 200°F and cover with a sheet of foil. Watch carefully, though, so they don’t become tough and dry.
Healthier Option: If you prefer, you can just coat a baking sheet with a little bit of olive oil, place fish pieces on tray, sprinkle with sea salt & pepper, and bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for about 10 minutes rather than breading and frying.
Assembling Your Tacos
- Fried fish
- 1/4 head green cabbage, thinly sliced in food processor
- 1/8 head purple cabbage, thinly sliced in food processor
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced in food processor
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalepeno, minced
- Corn or flour tortillas, your size of choice
- One recipe of Roasted Salsa
- Cotija or grated cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Fresh lime juice
Prepare fish as listed above. Place cabbages, onion, carrot, cilantro, and jalepeno in a large bowl and combine.
Place fish sticks on tortilla and use desired toppings.
Please pass the dice.