- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- One 14.5 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- One 12 oz. tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups apple juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons. kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika (not regular paprika)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/3 cup BBQ rub (I used Grill Mates Sweet & Smoky Rub)
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
Sizzle olive oil in a pot.
Place diced onion into very small pieces and add to the oil. Cook until onions appear translucent.
Add tomato puree, tomato paste, water, vinegar & molasses.
While sauce is simmering, continue to stir and add dark brown sugar, kosher salt, pepper, smoked paprika (not regular paprika), & chili powder.
Finally, add BBQ rub (I used Grill Mates Sweet & Smoky Rub), cranberry juice and yellow mustard.
Place sauce in blender and cover with lid. Blend until all tomatoes & onions blend into the sauce. Set aside.
To build your sammich, cut open hamburger buns and butter the insides of each. Lay with butter sides up on a baking sheet. Watch closely while broiling until golden brown.
Remove toasted buns from oven. Top with pulled pork, coleslaw, and crispy fried onion strips.
She’s slow. She’s chaotic. She’s a lot of work. And she is sooooo worth it.