Because you can never get enough pancake ideas. Because the weekend is almost here. Because I am on an orange and chocolate kick. I present thee with Orange Chocolate Chip Pancakes With Chocolate Syrup.
Fresh and decadent. Healthy and unhealthy – my speciality. You’re welcome. I’m sorry. You’re welcome.
- 12 ounces of the best semi-sweet chocolate you can buy (preferably a chocolate bar and not chocolate chips)
- 1/2 cup warm water, a little more if needed
- 1/4 cup sugar
Melt chocolate in a double boiler over low heat. Stir in warm water and sugar and stir until dissolved.
ORANGE CHOCOLATE CHIP PANCAKE RECIPE:
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (from 2-3 oranges) and zest
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips (again, the better brand you buy, the better they will taste)
Whisk pancake ingredients minus the chocolate chips together until well combined and smooth. While squeezing juice out of oranges, save some small pieces of the oranges to add to the pancake batter for added joy. It’s worth it. Trust me. Finally, after batter has been stirred, add chocolate chips into pancake batter.
Place your very best non-stick pan on a burner and preheat to low. It will be tempting to pour the batter upon the pan before it is hot, but do not give in to the temptation. When the time is right, pour 1/3 cup of better into the pan to make about a four-inch pancake.
Wait until the bubbles that form all around the edges of the pancake begin to burst, then flip.
When pancakes are all cooked, stack as high as you like and smother in heavenly, warm chocolate sauce… or with butter and maple syrup. Makes about 11 pancakes.
Garnish with lovely orange slices if you like.
Looking for some helpful pancaking hints? Check out this post on How to make a Perfect Pancake.