Dotter & I put up the fallish decorations yesterday. It was glorious.
We do love pip berries far more than we probably should.
And you know what this means, don’t you? All things pumpkin. Please start your KitchenAids.
Preheat to 350F. Recipe makes about 42 cookies.
THUMBPRINT COOKIE INGREDIENTS:
- 2 sticks butter, softened (or 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 & 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin spice
After dough comes together, form into balls using a cookie scoop. Aren’t they simply adorbs?
Press your thumb into the middle of each cookie just far enough to make a divot for the filling.
CREAM CHEESE FILLING INGREDIENTS:
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
Squirt filling into the middle of each cookie. I’m not gonna lie. This is a fun job.
Bake for 15 minutes and repeat.
If you’d like to get really crazy, you can add a chocolate Hershey’s Kiss in the middle. I chose to be half crazy this time.
If half-crazy is wrong, I don’t want to be right…
The filling above is like a creamy shot of cheesecake but if you’d rather, you can bake the thumbprints with no filling and then add this filling about 5 minutes after they come out of the oven for it is lovely. And buttery.
OPTIONAL SUBSTITUTE CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (or 1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Cream together cream cheese and butter. Slowly mix in powdered sugar & then vanilla. Place in a decorating bag & add to middle of cookies AFTER baking instead of the baked filling above.
I love you, Pumpkin Spice Thumbprints With Cream Cheese With Cream Cheese Filling – almost as much as I love pip berries.
Latest posts by The Old Hen (see all)
- Homemade Pulled Pork Sammich Recipe AKA The Hot Mess - June 23, 2016
- Homemade Hamburger Buns Recipe - June 23, 2016
- Steak Salad Recipe - June 22, 2016