Dear Vegetarians and Vegans, Please avert your eyes for we about to embark upon the meatiest recipe I’ve ever made. I’m sorry. Love, Deanna
And all the men said, “Meat and meat and meat and meat and potatoes? Amen.”
Preheat oven to 350F.
MEAT ROLL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 package of your favorite dry packaged au jus mix
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 3 eggs to mixture
- 1 pounds country sausage
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken or turkey
- Salt & pepper
- 2 pounds sliced bacon
- One 14 oz. package smoked beef sausage
- About 4 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 2 pounds baby potatoes (smallest you can find)
- 1-2 tablespoons turmeric
- 1-2 tablespoons curry
- Salt & pepper
- 1/2 diced yellow onion (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (optional)
- Freshly chopped oregano, basil, rosemary & thyme (optional)
Using a peeler, peel potatoes however you like. For a rustic look, I peeled the potatoes just around the middle this time. If using larger potatoes, simply cut into smaller, similar-sized pieces. Pour oil into frying pan and heat to medium high.
While waiting for oil to heat, coat potatoes in tumeric & curry powders.
After oil is preheated, add potatoes to pan. Toss occasionally during cooking and add salt & pepper. If desired, you can add diced yellow onions to the potatoes for the last 4-5 minutes of cooking time. Don’t add them too soon as they will burn because they cook much quicker than potatoes do.
You can also add minced garlic and freshly chopped oregano, basil, rosemary & thyme during the last minute of cooking time if you like. Potatoes are done when a fork poked into them slides out easily.
MUSHROOM GRAVY INGREDIENTS:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (or bacon grease)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced or chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- About 3 cups of chicken broth (or water)
- Beef Better than Bouillon
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt & pepper to taste
Heat diced onions over medium heat in oil until somewhat translucent.
Add mushrooms and cook until browned.
Sprinkle flour over mushroom and onions. Stir and allow flour to cook for at least couple of minutes.
Stir in chicken broth and then about 2 tablespoons of beef Better than Bouillon. Heat until Better than Bouillon has melted into gravy.
Finally stir in heavy whipping cream and butter. If you’re feeling a little wild & crazy, you can add a little dry red or white wine. to the mix. What could be better? I mean really.
Oh, yes, perhaps this? When the meat roll is finished cooking, allow it to rest for about 15 minutes then remove toothpicks and slice into 1-2 inch slices, depending on how big of eaters you are entertaining.
To serve, place potatoes on plate in a little circle and cover with mushroom gravy. Adorn with a gorgeous slice of meat roll to show off its beauty.
And every vegetarian and vegan said, “Potatoes only, please.”
And every man said, “Pass the fork.”
Latest posts by The Old Hen (see all)
- Homemade Pulled Pork Sammich Recipe AKA The Hot Mess - June 23, 2016
- Homemade Hamburger Buns Recipe - June 23, 2016
- Steak Salad Recipe - June 22, 2016