Perhaps this should be called Indulgent Chicken Marsala Recipe. But I can’t help it. I love a breaded piece of chicken. And I love a gravy sauce. One would probably never guess I was born as far away as one can get from the south while still in America. Well, there was that one thing – the fact that I spelled y’all as ya’ll for forty years might have been a clue.
- 6-8 whole chicken breasts
- 1 1/4 cup flour (divided)
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced or sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dry Marsala wine (can use sweet Marsala wine if preferred)
- 3 tablespoons Better than Bouillon Chicken Base
- Juice from 1/2 fresh lemon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Leaves from 6 fresh oregano stalks, chopped
First, pound chicken breasts until about even all the way across.
For breaded chicken, just use 1 cup or so to coat each piece in flour. This is entirely optional, you know, for those who do not have a southern girl on the inside.
Heat pan with oil to medium-high heat. When hot, fry chicken until 165 degrees inside the middle.
Set chicken aside.
Fry mushrooms in same pan. Set aside as well on a separate plate after cooked.
Make sure pan has about 4 tablespoons of oil in it. If not, just add some and wait until hot again. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of flour into pan and whisk immediately. Cook a few minutes or until somewhat brown. Pour in chicken broth and continue to whisk. Sauce will thicken.
Again, thickening the gravy is optional. You can also just let it cook down for a while until it reduces to a lovely sauce.
Pour in Marsala wine.
Continue to whisk. The whisking exercise makes the breading and the gravy okay.
Gravy will turn a beautiful brown color. Add chicken base, salt and pepper to taste. Stir until chicken base melts into gravy. Stir in lemon juice, butter and then mushrooms.
And fresh oregano.
Pour gravy over chicken and serve.
Though she is stunning served on her own, she also pairs will with pasta or a fresh green salad. She is chicken Marsala. She is indulgent. I’d imagine she originated in the southern part of Italy.
Latest posts by The Old Hen (see all)
- Homemade Blackberry Swirl Ice Cream Recipe - August 28, 2016
- Brown Sugar, Walnut & Plum Pound Cake With Maple Frosting Recipe - August 24, 2016
- Homemade Plum Jam Recipe - August 24, 2016