- 1/2 pound bacon
- 1 – 29 ounce can of kidney beans (can also use black beans, red beans, etc. if you’d like a variety)
- 1 Walla Walla sweet onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 – 6 ounce can of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 minced jalepeno
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
Picnics mean homemade baked beans. These beans bring sweet and spicy together in a pleasing simmer for summer.
Fry bacon in a large frying pan or medium large pot – one that is oven safe. Cast iron works great for this.
Drain and rinse beans. Boil rinsed beans in a pot of water for about 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
When bacon is fully cooked, take out of pan and place on a plate lined with a couple of paper towels to drain. Set aside. Drain excess grease from pan.
Dice yellow onion and then fry in same pan until caramelized. Mince garlic, then add.
Cook for about a minute longer, reduce heat to medium low and carefully add apple juice.
Gently stir in drained beans. Add tomato paste and apple cider vinegar.
Stir in molasses and brown sugar.
Welcome the back to the party, bacon – only, you know, crumbled.
To spice things up, add jalepeno, and salt & pepper to taste. Bake at 200F in pre-heated oven for about 2-3 hours. Serve hot.
Brings tear to my eye.
Latest posts by The Old Hen (see all)
- Homemade Blackberry Swirl Ice Cream Recipe - August 28, 2016
- Brown Sugar, Walnut & Plum Pound Cake With Maple Frosting Recipe - August 24, 2016
- Homemade Plum Jam Recipe - August 24, 2016